Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Pierce County, Washington
98402, 98403, 98404, 98405, 98406, 98407, 98408, 98409, 98421, 98422, 98443, 98465, 98466, 98467
"The City of Destiny"
Chamber of Commerce.
The Tacoma area was discovered by George Vancouver in 1792. But the area did not grow rapidly until business was begun there in 1852. A Swedish settler, Nicholas de Lin started his sawmill here which was the first business to help the local people with employment. Once the lumber industry began to grow and the Puyallup Indians left the area, the settlement grew. The name, Tacoma, which is close to an Puyallup word (Tahoma) for Mount Rainier, was given to this area by General Morton Matthew McCarver. He hoped to encourage the Northern Pacific Railway to establish its end in Tacoma. While there are many industries in the Tacoma area, shipping and wood products remain the major economic leaders for Tacoma.
Tacoma is from the Indian name for Mt. Rainier, "Tacobet," meaning "Mother of Waters." It was interpreted by the white man as Tahoma, later Tacoma, name of the new settlement in 1865. "City of Destiny" became Tacoma's slogan when it was designated, instead of Seattle, as the Northern Pacific Railroad's western terminus for its transcontinental route in 1873. A history page for Tacoma.
Tacoma Past and Present - good for history
See the attractions page for things to see in the Tacoma area.
More attractions in the Tacoma area.
City of Tacoma website
The Museum of Glass
International Center for Contemporary Art
Opened July 2002!
1801 East Dock Street
Tacoma, WA 98402-3217
Phone 253.284.4750 (Pierce County only)
Tacoma has it's own wonder of the world - the leaning cone of Tacoma! This 90 foot cone, designed to tilt north at 17 degrees, is located at the new Museum of Glass, International center for Contemporary Art. Not only are wonderful pieces of art on display, but there is a working hot shop where visitors may watch glass artists at work. All this and more is situated in the 75,000 square foot concrete and glass museum with 13,000 feet of gallery space.
Return to Index