YOUR KEY TO THE CITY

US Facts       Footsteps of History       Footsteps of History In Pictures       It Happened Here      
Mottos, Slogans and Nicknames       Noted Notables


Home     SEARCH THE INTERNET



Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Terrell
Kaufman County, Texas

ZipCodes
75160, 75161

Motto
"City of Tomorrow - with the Charm of Yesterday"



Page Contents for Terrell, Texas

Statistics & Facts

Location

History & History-related items

City Attractions

Economy

Government

Chamber of Commerce.

Schools.

Miscellany



Statistics & Facts

The Texas state capital is Austin.
The population of Terrell is approximately 13,800 1999, 15816 2010.
The approximate number of families is 4,735 1990, 5485 2010.
The amount of land area in Terrell is 45.702 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0 sq kilometers.
The distance from Terrell to Washington DC is 1202 miles.
The distance to the Texas state capital is 188 miles. (as the crow flies)
Terrell is positioned 32.73 degrees north of the equator and 96.29 degrees west of the prime meridian.

Location

just 30 minutes driving time from Dallas.
Return to Index

Weather


moderate. Here is a number for the current time and temperature in Terrell: 972-563-5731
Return to Index

History & History Related Items

Terrell, as were many of the early western towns, began as a "depot town." The Texas and pacific Railroad Company began to build their new line from Longview to California, but in 1872, the route was changed to go through the small village of Dallas. Of course, this changed history for Dallas which began to grow greatly. But it also called for the need for a depot in Kaufman County. Three people owned most of the land in the route of the railroad, Robert A. Terrell, Judge W. D. Irvine his brother-in-law, C.C. Nash and John G. Moore. By 1873, land was donated for the railroad in return for the building of a depot on a specified 100 acres. This acreage was the beginnings for Terrell. Another 100 acres was added as the "North Addition." Platted in May of 1873, the maps gave the name of Terrell in honor of Robert A. Terrell who spearheaded the speculation. The railroad reached Terrell in June of 1873 which brought with it new business and speculators. People also came to own and support those ventures. Land costs quickly rose, particularly when a ready source of water was found right beneath the town. Terrell was incorporated in 1874. The first mayor was Colonel J.W. Elder. He was soon followed by G.W. Carter. In 1875, Texas law declared all incorporated towns illegal and mandated that it be re-incorporated using guidelines for towns with 1,000 or more residents. During the early 20th century, cotton became the major contributor to the economy of Terrell. It was the commercial center for the county.
Return to Index

The founding of Terrell

1763

The incorporation of Terrell

1875


Attractions

Lake Tawakoni - 57 square miles of surface area is fed by the Sabine River and is a great source of water and land recreation for the area. campgrounds, picnic areas, fishing and boating facilities.

Lake Ray Hubbard - 12 miles west of Terrell off Hwy 80. campgrounds, picnic areas, fishing and boating facilities.

Cedar Creek Reservoir - 20 miles south of Terrell off Hwy 175.
campgrounds, picnic areas, fishing and boating facilities.

The Terrill Heritage Museum
in the Carnegie Library Building
The local Terrell Heritage Society collects, preserves and displays items about Terrell and the area. Among its prominent displays is a 1912 Estey pipe organ which has been restored to playing condition. There are also many artifacts from the #1 British Flying Training School which operated during World War II and trained Royal Air Force pilots and some US Army pilots.

Silent Wings Museum
Silent Wings Blvd at the Terrell Airport
Open Tuesday through Saturday with shorter hours on Sundays. Free admission.


Return to Index

Economy & Industry


Main sources for the economy in Terrell are General commerce, Industry, Mental Health care with the Terrell State Hospital here, Ranching and Agriculture
Return to Index


Terrell City Government

Terrell has a home rule charter and has a City Manager form of government.

City of Terrell
201 E. Nash
Terrell, Texas
Phone: 972-551-6600



Terrell Municipal Airport
Phone: 972-524-1601
one mile south of Terrell. Hard-surfaced, lighted runways. Hanger space, fuel, mechanic and radio facilities are available.

Terrell Chamber

Terrell Chamber of Commerce
1314 W. Moore Ave.
P.O. Box 97
Terrell, Texas 76160
Phone: 972-563-5703
Fax: 972-563-2363

Terrell Organizations

Terrell Chamber of Commerce
1314 W. Moore Ave.
P.O. Box 97
Terrell, Texas 76160
Phone: 972-563-5703
Fax: 972-563-2363

Terrell Schools

Terrell Independent School District
Phone: 972-563-7504



HIGHER EDUCATION


Southwestern Christian College
P.O. Box 10
Terrell, Texas 75160
Phone: 972-524-3341
Fully accredited academic program. Christian emphasis and environment


Trinity Valley Community College
Phone: 972-563-9573 Terrell

Miscellany

The population of Terrell was:
1990 - 12,490
1999 - 13,800

Contribute information for this community or any other community on the Key To TheCity website

Be sure to include the name of the community and its state when contacting Key to the City as you are NOT directly contacting this community.

Thanks for visiting Key to the City. Come back again! Soon!

The information on Key to the City is from multiple sources including government, commerce, libraries, individuals and organizations. There is no guarantee of the accuracy or timeliness of the information presented on these pages, therefore, please use at your own risk.



Search Key to the City
Custom Search
or Search anywhere on the Web
Custom Search