Native American artifacts, which date back more than 15 centuries, havebeen found in and around the present site of Kennedale. Indications arethat this was a popular hunting and fishing area for small groups untilpermanent settlements were established along bluffs overlooking tributariesof the Trinity River. The land was attractive, with rolling hills dottedwith post oak and other trees. Sixteenth century Spanish explorers foundthe native villages to be a good source of corn that was not generallygrown west of this area. Because of the profusion of villages of the CaddoTribe, the local tributary came to be called Caddo Village Creek which hasnow been shortened to Village Creek.
In the mid-1800s, there were early signs of Kennedale becoming atransportation hub. Many wagon trails crossed at the site in numbers thatexceeded the trails through what was to become the City of Arlington.In 1882 John D. Hudson, along with C.B. Teague and O.S. Kennedy, purchasedland and established the Town of Kennedale at the site of a mineral well.The well formed the focal point for development of a central businessdistrict with a train depot, hotel, general merchandise store, drug store,bank, post office, lumber company, and blacksmith. In 1886 the Fort Worthand New Orleans Railway Company was built through Kennedale to Waxahachie.
A brickyard was established in 1888 at the location of the present CityPark. Fire raged through the business district in 1908 destroying all butthe general store, which remained standing until 1997. The businessdistrict was never rebuilt and business activity gradually migrated toMansfield Highway.
After an election with 42 voters in July 1947, the Town of Kennedale wasincorporated with a population of 300. By 1950 the population hadincreased to 500, and a petition to the State was approved changing thestatus of Kennedale from "Town" to "City."
Return to Index