Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Robertson County, Tennessee
Home of the Bell Witch
Chamber of Commerce.
The first settlement at Adams, Tennessee was in 1780, when William and Martha Johnston and their family settled there on Red River, near Elk Fork Creek. The settlers in what would later become Adams took part in the famous revival along Red River in 1800. This revival was at first known as the Red River Revival. A couple of years later, having spread over most of the South, it became know as "The Great Revival." Some of the outdoor meetings, known as 'campmeetings,' had between 5,000 and 10,000 in attendance. This at a time when the area was still on the frontier, and population was still quite sparse. One of the regular camp meeting sites was Johnston's Campground, at Adams, on Sturgeon Creek. In the 1800's, this site was often referred to as the place "where all that speaking in tongues went on."
Adams, Tennessee was originally known as "Red River." During the War Between the States, the town was burned by the Union Army. Only three buildings were left standing. An important supply route for Confederate forces stationed at Fort Donelson ran thru Adams. This was a branch of the Edgefield and Kentucky Railroad. To protect this supply route, the Confederates constructed a small fort at Adams. Overlooking the river, the purpose of this fort was to guard the railroad bridge. The Fort consisted of a round blockhouse with three rings of breastworks. It was known as Fort Redmond, until it was abandoned and garrisoned by Federal forces. They renamed it "Red River Blockhouse Number One." Fort Redmond was the scene of two battles between Union and Confederate forces, twice being recaptured by the Confederates. On one such occasion, the Confederate forces consisted mostly of local farm boys, who assisted a company of the 2nd Kentucky cavalry in the storming and capture of the fort. It was perhaps in retaliation for this that the town was burned by the Union Army.
The small community became known first as Adams Station for a local businessman, Reuben Adams. This was when the first depot and post office were built around 1860. Adams was incorporated on 10 November 1869. This incorporation was repealed in 1899 and re-incorporation did not occur until around 1909. Station was dropped from the name on 10 February 1898. This site has some historical information and some nice pictures of the area.
Historic Bell Witch Cave
Closed part of the year, please call for details.
This property and the cave was once owned by John Bell, who was associated with the famous legend of the Bell Witch.
Port Royal State Historic Park
3300 Old Clarksville Hwy
One of Tennessee's earliest communiites and trading centers. Interpretive walks and talks upon requests.
The BellWitch Opry, at the old Bell School on the main highway, every Saturday night at 6:30p, good country and bluegrass music
Bellwood Cemetery, the burial ground of John Bell's relatives and other
notables, with an obelisk memorial to the Bell Family.
Return to Index
Adams City Hall and Fire Department
7721 Hwy.41 North
Adams, Tennessee 37010
Adams Chamber Springfield-Robertson County Chamber of Commerce
100 5th Ave West
Springfield, TN 37172
Adams Community Events July each year
The third weekend in July is the occasion of the annual Threshermen's Show at Adams, in the Middle Tennessee county of Robertson. This event features antique steam threshing machines, steam engines, antique tractor pulls, mules pulls, Confederate re-enactors, a blacksmith's forge, and many more exciting events. Also on the grounds is a log cabin built in the early to mid1800's. The Threshermen's Show lasts for two days (Friday and Saturday), and draws between 4,000 and 5,000 people each year. It has been an annual event for more than 40 years.