Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Cherokee County, South Carolina
The present day site of Blacksburg, SC was first settled by a man by the name of Stark in the late 1700's to early 1800's. Mr. Stark who had lived in Charleston, SC prior to moving to Blacksburg, had gotten several people to come with him on his trip. He had told them that they were going to go to the new area and plant bananas. When the bananas failed to grow properly because the climate was not warm enough to support them, the people who had came with him, laughed him out of the settlement. Those who stayed behind named the area Stark's Folly. Around the late 1800's three brothers who lived in Stark's Folly had gotten the Southern Railroad Company to lay track through the town and a depot was built in the town. The town's name was soon changed to Black's Station to honor the three brothers and later renamed Blacksburg in 1888. In the 1890's large amounts of iron were found in the area and many people hoping to make a fortune from mining the mineral flocked to the town. Blacksburg became a boom town
and hotels and saloons were built for the new visitors. The town's name was changed to Iron City during this time and later changed back to Blacksburg in 1898. Because of the "iron rush" the town became
quite wealthy and the fist electric street lights in the state of S.C. were installed in Blacksburg. The city was incorporated in 1898 as "Blacksburg" but still holds its nickname "Iron City" to this day.
Return to Index
King's Mountain National Military Park - located about ten miles east
of Blacksburg. This a Revolutionary War battle site were the Americans
defeated the British in what was probably the turning point of the Revolution.
Activities at the Park: Nature Trails, Living History Farm, Swimming, Putt-Putt, Camping,and History Museum.
Return to Index