This history is taken from the Centennial Book published in 1996 by the city of Arnold.
The beginnings of land on which the City of Arnold now stands was purchased originally around 1781 by Robert McCrea.
On January 14, 1896, Arnold was finally incorporated as a separate borough, with the name "Arnold", given in recognition of the first early settler, Major Andrew Arnold, who gave the land on which the railroad station, Arnold Station, was established many years before, with the first election of officers of the new borough held February 18, 1896. An industrial transformation started in 1891 with the establishment of the Chambers Glass Company, and a flourish of job opportunities attracting immigrants.
On July 31, 1939, the borough became a third class city and began operating as such on January 1, 1940. Since that time, the city has only had 3 mayors. The first was M.F. Horne, the second Alfred Colainanne, and the third, who is currently the mayor with the longest current term in Pennsylvania, Willie DeMao, from 1964 to the present.
The city is proud of it's growth, with a current population of 6,113, with 2,200 homes, 14.4 miles of streets, and three quarters of a mile in area. The city also takes pride in it's multiculturalism.
Return to Index
Return to Index
The Valley High School Football Team
The school district serving Arnold and sister city New Kensington is the New Kensington/Arnold School District. The high school is Valley, backed up by one middle school and 5 elementary schools. The city takes pride in it schools academically as well as athletically. Valley High School has produced a plethora of quality academic leaders, as well as top-notch athletes.