Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Garvin County, Oklahoma
A Community Living, Learning and Working Together
The Post Office was established here on 11 June, 1890 as Elmore. The naame was changed to Banner on 7 September, 1910. The name was changed once more on 4 March, 1911 to Elmore City. The city was named for J.O. Elmore, a prominent early day resident.
1985 Interview Charla Fox Brown did with long time resident Alma Jacks
Elmore City, Oklahoma was founded about 1895 by Oliver Elmore. Alma Jacks, the interviewee, stated that she came from Texas with her mother and father in a covered wagon in 1919 and parked their wagons on the empty lot that now is where the elementary school is located. There was a cotton gin on the south side of town about 1 1/2 blocks east of what is now Hwy 74. Everyone who farmed cotton hauled it by wagon to Wynnewood to be sold. Broomcorn went the other direction to Lindsay. In the early 1940's, there was an oil boom in and around Elmore City, which lasted three or four years. At that time, the population count was around 900.
About this time Elmore had a drug store owned and operated by W.E. Dodge, a dry goods store owned and operated by C.C. Grundy and later by Fred Combs. Tolivers Hardware was located on the corner on the west side of the street 1/2 block south of where the Bank / Post Office now stands. The bank and post office were both rebuilt in the late 1960's or early 1970's. The schoolhouse was where the high school is now located and was a two story wood building. The present day grade school was built in 1943.
Another resident interviewed was Mr. Al Haliun who moved to Elmore City in about 1968. He stated that since he has been in Elmore the town has grown both in population and business. The Elmore City Lake was built about 3 years before Mr. & Mrs. Halliun moved to Elmore. Elmore City also had at one time not only a walk in movie theater but also a drive in theater which stood about where the Bural home now stands.
Garvin County history
"Samuel J. Garvin was born Jan. 28, 1844 ? in Kentucky, the son of John and Mary Stithe Garvin. at the outbreak of the Civil War he migrated to Colorado. He joined a freighting caravan headed for the the Southwest. There were seven wagons loaded with merchandise and each pulled by five or six teams of oxen. They were owned by Henry Myers. Experience gained on this trip from Colorado east down the Santa Fe Trail fitted him for his years as a freighter in the Indian Territory.
At Fort Arbuckle, he met and married an Indian girl, Susan Muncrief, and by doing so became an adopted member of the Chickasaw tribe. He gained control of large blocs of land, which were later relinquished when allotment by severalty was enacted. He moved to Pauls Valley and operated a mercantile business. One of his employees was Walter J. Harris, who provides some clear impressions of the character of the namesake of Garvin County. Mr. Harris regards Samuel Garvin as one of the best judges of character he has ever known - a man who could size up a customer's honesty, credit rating and future potentials with a glance. In the many years he worked for Garvin in his store and banks he does not recall this judgement ever causing his boss a loss.
Hard life as a freighter had been a good teacher, Mr. Garvin became widely identified with the banking institutions of the area. With Calvin J. Grant, he first organized a private bank which was followed by the First National Bank of Pauls Valley of which he was president at the time of his death on July 20, 1908. He was also president of the First National Bank of Maysville and a director and vice president of the State Bank of ELMORE CITY. He was president of the Pauls Valley Mill and Elevator Company also, and retained extensive ranching interests." from the Garvin County History book dated 1957
Return to Index
The headline of the "Sunday Oklahoman" of 15 March, 1987, read: "ELMORE CITY NABS FIRST STATE CROWN -- 22 YEAR WAIT OVER FOR TEAKELL"
The following are excerpts from a story written by Eddie Godfrey, Staff Writer for The Daily/Sunday Oklahoman:
After coaching for 22 years at Elmore City's Royce Teakell finally has a state championship. Teakells Badgers outmuscled Konawa, 64-58, to win the Class 2A boys basketball title at the State Fair Arena.
Elmore City was just too strong for Konawa in winning its first boys' state championship in school history. Konwa's tallest player is 6'2" and the Badgers took advantage of their edge inside with 6'5" junior center Tim Duley and 6'4" senior forward Jeff Wallace. Duley scored 18 points and grabbed 11 rebounds while Wallace added 13 and six. The duo controlled the boards and thwarted several second-half charges by Konawa with big baskets.
The Badgers never trailed in the game after Doug Patterson's bucket gave them an 11-9 lead five minutes into the first period. Elmore City built its advantage to 28-21 at halftime. Badger guard Marty Teakell, the coach's son, outscored Konawa's backcourt tamdem 18-10 in the game.
"Last year we were real excited in just getting to come here state tournament," Teakell said. "This year we were waiting until this last game. It's the first round ball we've ever gotten that's gold."
Educator, Curtis Kennedy Retires after 42 years in local schools
On Sunday, May 20, 1984 the faculty of the Elmore City Elementary School hosted a retirement reception for grade school principal, Curtis Kennedy.
Mr. Kennedy began his career in education teaching fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth grades at Foster, OK. World War II interrupted his first year, and he was inducted into the Air Force in December of that year. Stationed in Italy he served 2 1/2 years as nose gunner and radio operator flying fifty missions over enemy territory. As the war ended, he was honorably discharged and utilized the opportunity to return to Foster to continue teaching. Upon leaving Foster he went to Pernell, serving as high school principal. In 1947, at Pernell, he was the girls basketball coach.
His first teaching assignment at Elmore City was in 1948 where he filled the position of high school girls basketball coach, also junior high girls and boys basketball coach as well as high school science instructor. He was selected as Elementary principal in 1951 and continued teaching in the sixth grade for a number of years while maintaining his administrative position. Mr. Kennedy served solely as administrator though for several years.
He is among the few educators still in service who holds a lifetime teaching certificate. He received his bachelor of science degree and masters degree from East Central State University and also was given his administrators certificate under a grandfather clause in education which is no longer available. Mr. Kennedy served 36 of his 42 years in education at Elmore City, OK.
Much planning went into the dance preparations and by prom night, everyone anticipated the great event. All went as planned, with everyone enjoying the entire evening. The future looks good as far as more proms are concerned. The superintendent, "We'll see," when asked about next year's prom. But things look pretty promising if this year's prom is any indication.
This school is part of the Elmore City Pernell School District #72
School Song Illinois Loyalty
We're loyal to you Elmore High
We'll ever be true Elmore High
We'll back you to stand
Against the best in the land
Cause we know you will stand
Elmore High, Rah, Rah!
So join in the fight Elmore High
And show them your might Elmore High
Our team is a great protector
Oh, boy, do we expect a victory
From you Elmore High, Rah, Rah!
A tribute to Coach Royce Teakell was given when the gym was renamed for him. See this page for more information on the Coach and the memorial.
100 N. Muse St.
Elmore City, Oklahoma 73035
Phone: 580-788-2869 Grades K-6
School Colors: Purple, White
Principal: Ms. Denna York 1999
Number of Students: 250 1999 Elmore City
Miscellany The population of Elmore City was:
1990 - 493
2000 - 756
2002 - 760
2005 - 763 estimated