Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Ottawa County, Ohio
Key West of the North
Chamber of Commerce.
Oliver Hazard Perry used the island as a base during the War of 1812. The important battle of Lake Erie with the British began the eventual American victory in the war. A monument to Perry is located here. Though the military presence has long been dismissed here, their place has been taken by pleasure boating and sailing. Many come to the island to vacation year round.
When the French explorer and trade, Louis Jolliet, came here, he was the first white man to be on the lake. Later in July, 1784, an unknown group of explorers named the island Pudding Bay because of the harbor's shape like a pudding bag. Some maps listed it as Puden Bay.
After the War of 1812, the area gradually became inhabited on a permanent basis, the first permanent settler being Philip Vroman in 1843. It was organized as a township on 22 June 1861. A portion of the island was incorporated as a village in May, 1876. This area is currently downtown Put-in-Bay. The history page below gives this and much more additional information about the community.
All the information you need to plan a day trip, weekend getaway, or week long vacation to Put-in-Bay, Ohio on South Bass Island.
Alaskan Birdhouse Wildlife Museum
See more than 100 different species of North American Wildlife in their natural habitat.
Aquatic Visitors Center
on Peach Point
Phone: 419-285-3701 or 419-625-8062 for group reservations.
just across the road from Perry's Cave underneath Heineman Winery. You can actually stand inside the largest geode in the world!
On Catawba Avenue
Here Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry found drinking water for his men. An underground stream runs though this cave. Water temperature remains at 50 degrees year-round
One of the few remaining operating merry-go-rounds with all wooden horses in the USA. On Delaware Avenue downtown.
This carousel was built in North Tonawanda, New York in 1917.
Lake Erie Island Historical Museum
Hands-on activities are held through the summer. Other features are video presentations, a research library, gift shop, island postcard collection and more.
A 352 foot Doric column built in 1915 called Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial. It was built to commemorate Perry's defeat of the British navy on 10 September 10, 1813 during the War of 1812. It was also as a reminder the lasting friendship between the United States and Canada along the longest peaceful border in the world.
Return to Index
The Put in Bay township has a year 2000 population of 763 persons.