Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Suffolk County, New York
A Place for All Seasons
Here is a history page for the Village of Northport.
The following is a collection of a few of the facts from the above history page.
The Matinecock Indians were the first residents of the area. The first white settlers came in 1650 from New Amsterdam. They report back to the Dutch that the area was good with level ground suitable for farming, good fishing and other praises. Six years later, three Englishmen purchased the land from Chief Asharoken. The area soon was known as Great Cow Harbor and prospered with farming and shell-fishing. By the 1770's, the main settlement was known as Red Hook. It was a small settlement with just a few farmhouses and an inn. After the Battle of Long Island during the Revolutionary War, the Island was under British control for eight years. After the war, re-building took place and the area was replenished. In 1798, the second lighthouse built in the United States was raised at Eaton's Neck. In 1802, the local residents petitioned the Town of Huntington for a dock at Bryant's Landing which is now the Northport Village Dock. By the early 1800's, the name of Cow Harbor was generally replaced by Northport.
Return to Index
The Village of Northport is an incorporated village of Huntington Town.
Northport Libraries Northport-East Northport Public Library
Miscellany The population of the village of Northport was:
1990 - 7,572
1999 - 7,548