Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Mercer County, New Jersey
08608, 08618, 08638
Trenton was settled around 1680 when a mill was built at the falls of the Delaware River. William Trent, a Philadelphia merchant, recognized the potential of the area. He purchased the mill in 1714 and by 1719, the village had grown and strengthened so much its name was changed from The Falls to Trenton.
Trenton played a part in the Revolutionary War with many battles fought near the city. Washington surprised the Hessians who had occupied the city in 1776. On Dec 26th of that year, he was able to overpower those troops and take them all prisoner. The victories in this area were said to be the turning point in the war.
The state capital was designated to be Trenton in 1790. The world's first full operative steamboat sailed up and down the Delaware River daily and helped the city become well-known around the world.
Return to Index
New Jersey State Museum
205 W. State St.
Phone: 609-292-6464 or 292-6308
The main museum has many exhibits, both permanent and changing. The Planetarium offers various programs during the year, including a laser show. please call this number for the Planetarium - 609 292-6333
15 Market St.
This home is supposed to be the oldest house in Trenton. It was built in 1719 by William Trent.
Washington Crossing State Park
8 miles nw off SR29.
Phone: 609 737-9304
The site of the historic crossing of the Delaware by General George Washington and his men. See displays and exhibits as well as re-enactments. Other features may be seen at the site.
Old Barracks Museum
The only surviving British colonial barracks in the USA. It was built in 17568 and used by various military units. See restored quarters with furnishings of the time, and other exhibits. Guides, dressed in period costumes, will show you around the site.
Return to Index