Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Brown County, Minnesota
City of Charm and Tradition
The idea for the City of New Ulm, a settlement of German immigrants, was conceived by Frederick Beinhorn in Germany. Beinhorn came to America in 1852. By 1853, he was in Chicago where he founded the "Chicago Land Society". In 1854, the site of the present new Ulm was selected by the advance group. The name, New Ulm was selected because many of the original settlers were from the Province of Wurttemberg, Germany, of which Ulm is the principal city.
In 1856, Wihlem Pfaender arrived in New Ulm with members of the Turner Colonization Society of Cincinnati. The two groups merged and in 1857, the town of New Ulm was incorporated by an act of the State Legislature.
The City of New Ulm was important to Minnesota's history. The first steamboats passed by New Ulm in 1853, going up river with troops to lay out a site for Fort Ridgley. For the next 20 years, boats brought settlers, freight, Indian supplies and gold to the area.
The Indians mingled freely with New Ulm settlers in those days. Much trading was done between the Indians and the settlers of New Ulm. New Ulm was nearly overrun in the Dakota Conflict of 1862. New Ulm survived two separate sieges in August of 1862. Several buildings, which still stand along Minnesota Street, served as a refuge for residents and nearby settlers.
The German heritage of New Ulm is evident in the architecture, and
especially in the neatness and care visible in the trim yards and well
kept houses and store fronts. New Ulm was given a precise grid
pattern layout of streets and parks by the German Land Society. This
grid pattern provides easy access to parks from any part of the city.
Return to Index
Many specialty shops featuring German products
Fine German and American restaurants
Beautiful parks with walking paths, flowers gardens and fountains
18 hole golf course, 7 other courses nearby
Flandrau State park with sand bottomed pool, camping and hiking
Morgan Creek Vineyard, including wine tasting tours, gift shop
August Schell Brewery, including beer tasting tour, gift shop
Family Recreation Center with indoor pool, fitness center, etc
Hermann Monument, 102 foot tall monument with surrounding park
Glockenspiel, one of the worlds few free standing carillon clock towers, 45 feet tall, bells plays music while animated figures depict the development and history of the city
Brown County Museum with exhibits on Dakota Indians, early settlers of Brown County, and the Dakota Conflict, includes an extensive research room
The Harkin Store a restored 1870's general store with much of the original stock, open for tours or play chess next to the wood stove
Return to Index