Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
St. Joseph County, Michigan
"The Oldest incorporated Village in Michigan"
Here is a page about how White Pigeon was named
A good history page for White Pigion.
Named for a Pottawatomie Indian Chief, Wahbememe, White Pigeon was incorporated in 1837, the oldest incorporated village in the state of Michigan.
Initially, White Pigeon was called Millville, but the name was changed to White Pigeon Prairie in 1833 after Chief Wahbememe heroically saved the village from destruction. It was shortened to White Pigeon in 1835. The Chief was supportive of the new settlements and gave his word to help them. When others wanted to force the settlers out, he stood up for them. One night, he overheard members of the tribe plotting to go to the village and destroy it, he ran all the way there to warn the settlers. This was about 150 miles. Once he had warned them, the exertion of the run overtook him and he died. The Village was prepared for the attack and all were saved.
One day a man built a cabin over his grave, against the warnings of the Indians. The cabin was burned down shortly afterwards. Today the spot is marked by a monument erected by the Alba women's club of White Pigeon. It was unveiled by Chief WHITE PIGEON 's great-great grandson, Willie WHITE PIGEON , on August 11, 1909, with a great celebration
Return to Index
Learn all about White Pigeon
White Pigeon is a General Law Village.
White Pigeon Schools White Pigeon Jr. Sr. High School
410 East Prairie
White Pigeon, Michigan