Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Wayne County, Michigan
A Touch of Europe in America
Chamber of Commerce.
Hamtramck was named after a French Revolutionary War hero, Colonel Jean Francois Hamtramck who commanded troups under General Anthony Wayne. His troops took possession of Detroit when the British evacuated.
The city was originally established in 1798 as the township of Hamtramck, in what was then part of the Northwest Territory. The township was organized on 12 April 1827 and a post office opened on 3 October 1828. It was closed in 1836. Finally on 5 April 1899, another post office was opened and named Kraft for the first postmaster. On 15 October 1905, the name was officially changed to Hamtramck. Hamtramck was incorporated as a village in 1901 and as a city in 1921. Although it is completely within the city of Detroit, it remains physically and politically independent from Detroit.
At the time of incorporation, Hamtramck was about 85% Polish. It continues to have a large population of Polish people.
Return to Index
Take a tour of old Hamtramck
City of Hamtramck
3401 Evaline Street
Hamtramck, Michigan 48212
Hamtramck has a Mayor/City Council form of government
Hamtramck Chamber Hamtramck Chamber of Commerce
Hamtramck OrganizationsHamtramck Chamber of Commerce
Hamtramck Schools Hamtramck City Schools
Hamtramck, MI 48212
Phone: 313 872-9270 Hamtramck
Miscellany The population of Hamtramck was:
1910 - 3,589
1920 - 46,615
1999 - 18,372
2000 - 22,976
The number of households in Hamtramck was:
1990 - 7,908
2000 - 8,033