Chamber of Commerce.
A history page for Leonardtown.
Leonardtown is the oldest municipality in Maryland & sole incorporated town in St. Mary's County. When Leonard Calvert and his original colonists arrived in what is now Maryland in March 1634, they immediately set about establishing the civil boundaries as they had known them in England. Although the first county, St. Mary's was not formally established until 1637, the county seat was set up at town site of the Yaocomico Indians, which was renamed St. Mary's, in honor of Mary, the mother of Jesus, under whose protection the venure was placed.The county seat remained at St. Mary's City until 1654 when mention is made of the county court being conducted at the house of John Hammond in the area known as Newtown (Leonardtown). From 1634 to 1708 the court was conducted in the homes of various gentlemen of note in the Newtown area. In 1708, Mr. Phillip Lynes, the Mayor of St. Mary's City, gave to the colony 50 acres of a piece of land known as "Shepherd's Old Fields" at the head of Breton Bay. This land was to be divided into 100 lots and laid out as the county seat of St. Mary's County. Seven commissioners were charged by the Governor and Assembly to oversee this endeavor, which included setting aside one lot for a county courthouse, to be built at an expense not to exceed 12,000 pounds of tobacco. In 1708 the town was renamed Seymour Town in honor of the royal Governor John Seymour at the suggestion of Phillip Lynes. In 1728 a new set of more forceful commissioners were named by the government in Annapolis. These men renamed the town Leonardtown for the first Governor of Maryland, Benedict Leonard Calvert. Leonardtown functioned from that point in it's intended purpose as a local place to conduct the colony's official business for the citizens of St. Mary's County. In 1858, Leonardtown incorporated and became it's own self-governing municipality. Today, Leonardtown still operates as a self-governing town, by an elected Mayor and five member Town Council, all of whom serve for two year terms.
A webpage all about Leonardtown
The Town of Leonardtown
41660 Courthouse Drive
P.O. Box 1
Leonardtown, MD 20650
In Leonardtown, or in the immediate outskirts, are Leonardtown Elementary School, Middle School, and High School, and the St. Mary's
Technical Center, which are part of the county public school system. Private and Parochial Education is available at Father Andrew White
Elementary School, Leonard Hall Naval Academy, and St. Mary's Ryken High School. In addition, the Community College at St. Mary's opened its doors in September 1996.
Number of Housing Units:
1990 - 613
2000 - 646
Median Household Income:
2000 - $ 35,563
2007 - $ 49,256
Median House Value:
2000 - $ 152,900
2007 - $ 369,130
Leonardtown is located in the Eastern Time Zone and does participate in daylight savings time during a portion of the year.