Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
De Soto Parish Louisiana
This general was known as the Grand Cane Territory back in the late 1800’s when four families – Abington, Rogers, Hobgood and Wagner – settled here. Land was deeded to the New Orleans and Pacific Railroad in 1881 and the Village was laid out. The village of Grand Cane was incorporated in 1899. The small community grew rapidly and many businesses opened including doctors, a dentist, drug stores, newspaper, cotton gins and more along with many residences. The first accredited public high school in the state also opened here.
The village was hit hard by the Great depression and then, when the Texas and Pacific Railroad closed in the late 1950’s, the decline escalated. No new business came here and old, established firms closed up or moved elsewhere. The town, though, refused to close down. A Rural Development Grant from the state allowed the Village to purchase the Hicks & Richardson building. Then other buildings were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Now these buildings have been designated for public use and are supporting a rise in the local economy.