Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Livingston Parish, Louisiana
Chamber of Commerce.
Here is a history page for Denham Springs.
This area has had several known names, among them Amite Springs, Hill's Springs and Denham Springs. In 1928 William Denham married Mercy Hogue, the daughter of Alexander Hogue, one of the first land owners of the area. He later purchased the 640 acres which were previously owned by his father-in-law. It is believed that he discovered the mineral springs on his property and soon built up a health resort there. But this is only theory and because of the many other springs in the area, not entirely supported. He was listed in the 1850 census as a farmer by occupation. He sold out to Stamaty Covas of New Orleans on 1 May 1855 and moved to Baton Rouge and later to Texas.
In October of 1879, John Sullivan applied for a post office to be established just north of the present city limits. Among the names considered for the Post office were Pine Bluff, Allen and Hill's Springs. Hill's Springs was the chosen name when the office was formally established on 12 Jan 1880. Around 1890, the post office was moved inside of what is now the city limits. On 9 May 1898, the name was changed to Denham Springs. Most feel this was in honor of William Denham, but some residents remember the post office department ordering the change due to other nearby offices with similar names in the state.
Return to Index
Learn more about Denham Springs at this site.
Things to do in Denham Springs.
25 stores in a 2 block area