Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Washington Parish, Louisiana
"The Magic City of the Pinelands"
Chamber of Commerce.
The name, Bogalusa, comes the creek, Bogue Lusa. This creek goes through the city and the name means smoky or dark waters.
Sites of some of Bogalusa's Historic Homes:
South Border Drive - Mayor Sullivan's Home
Founders Drive - Goodyear Home
Louisiana Avenue - Milltown Theater
Bogalusa, called "The Magic City of the Pinelands" is the only city in the parish (county) It was also known as "The Green Empire.". It was founded by the Goodyears of Buffalo, New York, in 1906. The giant sawmill which brought the town into existence began operation is 1908. Bogalusa's population grew in a few months to 8,000; by 1914, the year of its incorporation, it had reached 10,000; and today its inhabitants number approximately 15,000. The site on which was once located the largest yellow pine sawmill in the world, now contains the industries of the Gaylord Container Corporation, makers of paper, boxes, bags, and other paper products. There are 22 other manufacturing plants located near Bogalusa.
Louisiana Museum of Ancient Culture and The Bogue Lusa Pioneer Museum are located in Cassidy Park in Bogalusa, Louisiana.
Bogalusa City Hall is on the Federal Register of Historic Places
The Depot: (Maintained as a private museum)
Historical Mural & American Flag
Return to Index
City of Bogalusa
P. O. Drawer 1179
Bogalusa, LA 70429-1179
Bogalusa, incorporated by act of legislature July 4, 1914, has the mayor council form of city government. In addition to these officials, the voters choose the city judge and city attorney. The council appoints the clerk, assistant clerk, chief of police, fire chief, health officer, city engineer and juvenile officer. An elected school board appoints a superintendent of city schools and other school officials. All elected and most appointed officials serve a four-year term.