Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Allen County, Kansas
Don't pass Gas, Stop and Enjoy it
Home of the Largest Gas Kan in the World
Gas was platted on 1 November 1898. The name came from the natural gas fields here. The founder of Gas is E.K. Taylor. After the initial strike of gas on 24 December 1893, the area boomed and natural gas was abundant. The production was as high as a billion feet per day, but then, in 1907, the pressure began to wane and within just a few years, most of the smelters had closed and the brick and cement plants also were shuttered. Without the natural gas, the community had no real business. Today the city remains small and no one in town has an income from natural gas sources.
The slogan for Gas has a bit of humor to it. When Kansas is abbreviated, the slogan reads - Gas, Kan. Besides the play on words, the slogan itself often intrigues people into stopping to check it out.
Gas has a number of businesses, including a Cafe, car dealer, trucking company, golf course, appliance shop and more. Also located in Gas is one of a dying breed - a drive-in theater.
Return to Index
2010 - 705 persons per square mile
2000 - 38 years
Number of Housing Units:
1990 - 227
2000 - 234
Per Capita Income:
2000 - $ 14,012
2009 - $ 19,966
Median House Value:
2000 - $ 37,100
2009 - $ 64,921
Gas is located in the Central Time Zone and does participate in daylight savings time during a portion of the year.