Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Mercer County, Illinois
Biggest Little Rodeo In The World
New Windsor is officially named the Village of Windsor. It was platted in 1857 and founded in 1869. The town was reorganized as the Village of Windsor in 1878 and later, in 1901, it was incorporated. Some say that is was named by William Petrie for Windsor Castle, in England. Petrie was also from Windsor in Scotland. When another Windsor was found in Illinois, the name became New Windsor though the official name was never changed.
A disastrous fire occurred at Christmas 1898 with most of the business area destroyed. The town didnít let that get them down and rebuilt with better, stronger and, importantly, fireproof brick buildings.
Return to Index
New Windsor Fair, Horse Show, and Rodeo
The fair grounds are located in New Windsor Illinois at the west end of town on Illinois route 17, or Main street of New Windsor.
The New Windsor Rodeo is Sanctioned by the International Professional Rodeo Association (IPRA) of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Every performance of the rodeo includes bareback bronc riding, saddle bronc riding, calf roping, steer wrestling, team roping, barrel racing and bull riding. Plus rodeo clowns and specialty acts.
Almost half of New Windsor's population is of Swedish descent. There are 2 churches, Lutheran and Presbyterian.
Return to Index
There is a village board that meets at 7:30 p.m. the first Monday of every month.
New Windsor Historical Events 1953
New Windsor was consolidated in 1953 with Viola and became the Winola School District. Winola was dissolved in 1988 and became part of the Sherrard school district.
1804 175h Avenue
Viola, IL 61486
Sherrard High School
Home of the Tigers