Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Fayette County, Iowa
The Brick City
Here is an informative history page for Clermont. Clermont was first spelled Claremont. In 1851, the town was laid out by John Thompson and C.D. Carlton. It wasn't officially platted until 1855. When Thompson bought his his partner, he wanted to rename the town Norway but the local residents greatly objected. Thompson relented and the name reverted back to the first spelling of Claremont. Finally on 15 July 1856, it was recorded by the legislature as Clermont. It was incorporated on 16 August 1875 as a town.
Clermont enjoyed a thriving brickmaking industry in the second half of the nineteenth century. They were so famous for their brick, the town earned the name the "Brick City."
Montauk was the home of Iowa's 12th governor, William Larrabee. He was the first governor to serve in the new capital building in Des Moines, previously located in Iowa City. For more information on the former governor and other Clermont history, see the above history page.
Return to Index
Montauk - Home of Iowa's 12th Governor William Larrabee
Abraham Lincoln Statue and Park - Erected in 1902 in memory of the soldiers and sailors of the Civil War
Larrabee School - Larrabee school is a monument to Governor William Larrabee's concept of the "Ideal School" It was erected in 1912-1913
The Village Blacksmith - Burkard Regiel came to Clermont from Germany in 1929 and began practice here and continued 53 years
Union Sunday School - The Union Sunday School was built in 1863 and has a Kimball organ that is 20-ft. long, 11-ft. deep, and 7-1/2 ft. high
Episcopal Church - The Church of the Saviour was built in 1867 as a gift from Mrs. Frances Vinton of Providence, R.I. in memory of a son and daughter who died in youth.
Henderson Statue - Colonel David B. Henderson was a member of the United States House of Representatives where he was Speaker of the House in 1899 and 1901
City Officials as of 1-2006
Mayor Rodney Wagner
James Matt - Mayor Pro-Tem
Arthur Sullivan, Jr.
Fire Chief - John Gass
Clermont Historical Events 2003, June 20-22
The communities of Clermont and Northeast Iowa celebrated the 100th Anniversary Reunion of the Iowa Twelfth Infantry Regiment including the Civil War Boys of Company C Upper Iowa University Recruits.
Our purpose was to honor, celebrate, portray and re-dedicate the 1903 Grand Reunion, attended by thousands, of Iowa's Twelfth Infantry Regiment Civil War Heroes. Those thousands came in 1903 to see, meet, and honor Civil War Veterans in a great celebration and dedication.
Speakers at the 1903 two-day event included U.S. Senator, James Dolliver, U.S. House Speaker, David B. Henderson, former Governor, William Larrabee, Shiloh Battlefield Historian, Major David Reed, Col. Jack Stibbs of Iowa's Twelfth, Upper Iowa University President, T.J. Bassett, and Northeast Iowa dignitaries. Bands and choruses from Fayette County performed.
The Abraham Lincoln Statue and pedestal in Lincoln Park was dedicated. The David B. Henderson Statue was dedicated in front of the Episcopal Church. Still standing, all these are part of our history.
We are honoring our history and all Civil War Heroes by celebrating this once in a lifetime event at the scenes of the 1903 event. We encouraged anyone and everyone with an interest in their ancestors and with an interest in their ancestors and civil war days to research, share, 'adopt' and/or portray a veteran, wife, sweetheart, or mother. You can be that person as they would have been in 1861-65 or 1903. People dressed up in 1861-65 or 1903 clothing and joined in the fun!!
~Civil War Re-Enactors
~Community Church Service
~Civil War Fashions
~Museum Buildings Open
~Historic Sites Open
~Activities at Montauk
The children of Clermont attend schools in the Valley Community School District Valley CEW which serves the communities of Clermont, Elgin and Wadena.
Miscellany The population of Clermont was:
1990 - 523
2001 - 716