Page Contents for Jacksonville, Georgia
Statistics & Facts
History & History-related items
Statistics & Facts
The Georgia state capital is Atlanta.
The population of Jacksonville is approximately 128 (1990), 140 (2010).
The approximate number of families is 69 (1990), 59 (2010).
The amount of land area in Jacksonville is 2.892 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0 sq kilometers.
The distance from Jacksonville to Washington DC is 599 miles.
The distance to the Georgia state capital is 159 miles. (as the crow flies)
Jacksonville is positioned 31.81 degrees north of the equator and 82.97 degrees west of the prime meridian.
History & History Related Items
Check out this wonderfully informative page about Jacksonville, Georgia history which includes biographical sketches, pictures and much more.
The City of Jacksonville, Ga. was created in 1815 as the first county seat of Telfair County
Return to Index
Jacksonville Historical Events 1813, August
Blockhouse Baptist Church, Jacksonville, Georgia
During the War of 1812, in August of 1813, General David Blackshear and his soldiers constructed a fort known as Fort Clark in the new county of Telfair (created 1807). The fort was built near the site of Jacksonville, Georgia (officially established 1815) at what is now the site of Blockhouse Baptist Church. The fort was built, along with others, along the Ocmulgee River, for protection against the Indians. While in the fort, women and children, and men when they could, would worship in one of the blockhouses of the fort. Thus, the church came to be called Blockhouse Baptist Church and is still active today. Revolutionary, War of 1812, Civil War, and soldiers of modern time wars are buried or have markers in the church's cemetery.
One grave contains the remains of Sgt. John McCrimmon of the 49th Georgia Regiment, CSA, who killed General Phil Kearny in the Civil War. Other interesting graves are there: Capt. Lucius Williams of the Georgia 49th, who fought in the Civil War and came home to do battle with the Dodges in the Land and Timber War of Telfair County in post Civil War times; the grave of Major Charles I. Shelton, who was captured by the British in the War of 1812 and carried as a prisoner to England but was exchanged and made his way back to Jacksonville, Georgia; Charles Albrecht, who some say revived the old Coca-Cola slogan "Good To The Last Drop" for Maxwell House Coffee; also, the grave of Rev. W.M. Williamson who baptized over 9,000 persons in his lifetime.