Inspired by a memorial from the
Anna Warner Bailey Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Governor
O. Vincent Coffin, on May 29, 1895, introduced to the General Assembly the first
proposal for the adoption of a State Flag. On that same day the Assembly passed
a resolution appointing a special committee to prepare a designation of the
flag already generally accepted as the official flag of the state. The General
Assembly of 1897 provided an official description of the flag setting the dimensions
at five feet, six inches in length and four feet, four inches in width, of azure
blue silk, with the armorial bearings in argent white silk with the design in
natural colors and bordure of the shield embroidered in gold and silver. Below
the shield there is a white streamer, cleft at each end, bordered in gold and
browns, the streamer bearing in dark blue the motto "Qui Transtulit Sustinet."
Text taken from "Connecticut sites, seals & symbols"
|Search Key to the City||or
Search anywhere on the Web
Return to the Connecticut State page. To choose another state, go to the State page. Return to the Key to the City Home Page
This page was last updated on 23 July 2012 at 8:28 pm
Thanks for visiting the Key to the City. Come back again! We'll leave the light on for you!